Custom domain or subdomain for your help site
There are a couple different options for what URL your HelpSite-powered knowledge base can live at.
- Subdomain. By default, every site is automatically given a subdomain like
- Custom Domain (Recommended): Setting up a custom domain allows your site to live at
- Embedding: Technically iframe embedding allows your HelpSite to live on any URL on your existing website, however this approach is not recommended and has some real downsides. Learn more.
These options are all available even on our Free plan! Please note, however, that using both SSL and a Custom Domain together currently requires a paid plan.
We recommend setting up the Custom Domain option, which is the best way to show that your knowledge base site is officially associated with your company, and also is the best option for SEO. This means you would simply link to your HelpSite powered (which would live at
help.your-domain.com) from your main website (
Setting up a Custom Domain does require changing your domain's DNS settings. Instructions are below, but please contact us if you need help.
How to use a custom domain for your HelpSite
- Create a CNAME DNS record for
support.yoursite.comor whatever you'd like) and point it to your helpsite.com subdomain (e.g.
yourname.helpsite.com). Keep reading further down on this page for instructions on how to set this up with your domain registrar. It may take an hour or so before your DNS propagates.
- Log in to your HelpSite page and click Customize. From there, you can set your custom domain.
- If you set your Custom Domain option in HelpSite before setting up your CNAME DNS record, you'll see a red "x" icon in Settings, and you will need to click "Update Site" so that we can validate your DNS is setup correctly.
Once Custom Domain and your DNS record is setup properly, you should see a green checkmark like this in HelpSite:
If you have any issues or questions, just get in touch.
How to setup a CNAME DNS record
More detailed instructions are available directly from your domain provider:
- Adding a CNAME using 1&1
- Adding a CNAME using Amazon Route53
- Adding a CNAME using Bluehost
- Adding a CNAME using CloudFlare
- Adding a CNAME using cPanel
- Adding a CNAME using Digital Ocean
- Adding a CNAME using dnsimple
- Adding a CNAME using domain discount 24
- Adding a CNAME using Domain.com
- Adding a CNAME using Google Domains
- Adding a CNAME using Dreamhost
- Adding a CNAME using Dynadot
- Adding a CNAME using Freeparking
- Adding a CNAME using Gandi.net
- Adding a CNAME using GoDaddy
- Adding a CNAME using HostMonster
- Adding a CNAME using Hover
- Adding a CNAME using iwantmyname
- Adding a CNAME using Linode
- Adding a CNAME using Name.com
- Adding a CNAME using Namecheap
- Adding a CNAME using Network Solutions
- Adding a CNAME using Nomeo
- Adding a CNAME using Pop.co
- Adding a CNAME using United Domains
- Adding a CNAME using WebFaction