User Permissions & Roles
Paid HelpSite accounts can invite additional user accounts so multiple team members can collaborate on a help site, or so you can invite users to have read-only access to view a private knowledge base. Admins can choose what each invited user has access to in your organization's account, by assigning a Role.
Default User Roles
All of our paid HelpSite plans can invite additional users and assign them to one of 3 default roles, which are defined as follows:
- Admin: Admin users can perform any action in HelpSite. This includes editing articles, site settings, billing settings, add/remove team members, etc.
- Content Editor (All sites): Content Editor users can create/edit/delete articles & categories. They can also view the help site. They cannot change site settings, billing settings, nor invite other teammates.
- Note: This default role gives a user Content Editor access for all your sites. If you instead need per-site permissions, see "Custom Roles" below.
- Read Only (All sites): Read Only users can only view the help site. Cannot view/edit anything in the admin dashboard. This user type only makes sense to use if your site is setup as private/internal. (For public sites, you can simply direct users to your help site's URL without creating a user account for them.)
- Note: This default role gives a user Read Only access for all your sites. If you instead need per-site permissions, see "Custom Roles" below.
These 3 default roles are available to HelpSite accounts on any paid plan.
To add or manage users in your account, click your name in the top right and then "Manage Team":
Custom Roles allow you to define per-site permissions, which is useful if you have multiple sites. This feature is only available on our "Plus" plan or higher.
For example, Custom Roles allow you to give Read Only access to a specific private site to one set of users, give a different set of users Read Only access to a different private site, and give a third set of users Content Editor access to one of the sites.
To get started, create a new Role:
Then you can assign your custom role to a new or existing user:
Get in touch if you have any trouble or questions.