User Permissions & Roles
Paid HelpSite accounts can invite additional user accounts so multiple team members can collaborate on a help site, or so you can invite users to have read-only access to view a private knowledge base. Admins can choose what each invited user has access to in your organization's account, by assigning a Role.
Default User Roles
All of our paid HelpSite plans can invite additional users and assign them to one of 3 default roles, which are defined as follows:
- Admin: Admin users can perform any action in HelpSite. This includes editing articles, site settings, billing settings, add/remove team members, etc.
- Content Editor (All sites): Content Editor users can create/edit/delete articles & categories. They can also view the help site. They cannot change site settings, billing settings, nor invite other teammates.
- Note: This default role gives a user Content Editor access for all your sites. If you instead need per-site permissions, see "Custom Roles" below.
- Read Only (All sites): Read Only users can only view the help site. Cannot view/edit anything in the admin dashboard. This user type only makes sense to use if your site is setup as private/internal. (For public sites, you can simply direct users to your help site's URL without creating a user account for them.)
- Note: This default role gives a user Read Only access for all your sites. If you instead need per-site permissions, see "Custom Roles" below.
These 3 default roles are available to HelpSite accounts on any paid plan.
To add or manage users in your account, click your name in the top right and then "Manage Team":
Custom Roles allow you to define per-site permissions, which is useful if you have multiple sites.
For example, Custom Roles allow you to give Read Only access to a specific private site to one set of users, give a different set of users Read Only access to a different private site, and give a third set of users Content Editor access to one of the sites.
[Contact us if you're interested in having this feature added to your account]
To get started, create a new Role:
Then you can assign your custom role to a new or existing user:
Get in touch if you have any trouble or questions.